So recently I was tasked with figuring out if and how to install SharePoint 2013 on as new as possible versions of SQL and Windows Server. In short this meant:
- SQL Server 2014 (2016 is not supported)
- Windows Server 2016
TLDR; It works!
Using AutoSPInstaller and AutoSPSourceBuilder and assuming you have already set up AD/Firewall/GPOs and the like:
- Download and prepare AutoSPInstaller with prerequisites and configuration.
- Install SQL Server 2014.
- Run this in Admin PowerShell on each server:
PowerShell123456789101112131415Add-WindowsFeature Web-Server, `windows-identity-foundation, `NET-Framework-45-ASPNET, `Web-Mgmt-Console, `Web-Mgmt-Compat, `Web-Metabase, `Web-Lgcy-Mgmt-Console, `Web-Lgcy-Scripting, `Web-Mgmt-Tools, `Web-WMI, `Web-Common-HTTP, `Web-Windows-Auth, `NET-HTTP-Activation, `NET-Non-HTTP-Activ, `NET-WCF-HTTP-Activation45
- Run AutoSPInstaller
SQL Server 2016 was out almost immediately due to this little nugget:
A SharePoint release will support the latest SQL Server version(n) at the time of release as well as the one previous released version (n-1) and one addition/new release of SQL (n+1). For the case of SharePoint 2013, the follow SQL versions are supported:
- SQL 2014 – n+1
- SQL 2012 – n
- SQL 2008 R2 – n-1
Well.. that’s one down.
Windows Server 2016 turned out to be a different subject altogether. I was unable to find any concrete information on whether or not it would work so I ended up setting up a new VM and installing SharePoint directly using AutoSPInstaller. No better test than the real thing right 🙂 This was my setup on a single VM:
- Memory: 24GB
- CPUs: 6
- Windows Server 2016
- SQL Server 2014
- Separate AD server running on Windows Server 2012r2, pre configured with GPOs/DNS and service accounts.
- Download and prepare AutoSPInstaller with Slipstreamed Prerequisites and patches up to January 2017.
- Install SQL Server on the VM.
- Run AutoSPInstaller to setup SharePoint 2013 Enterprise.
Step 1 and 2 worked fine. However once I started step 3 I ran into some issues. AutoSPInstaller kept rebooting the server without apparently making any progress. I had to stop the process and run PrerequisiteInstaller.exe manually in order to find the problem. The log reported:
Application Server Role, Web Server (IIS) Role: configuration error
Not much to go on, but it apparently failed when trying to configure these two server roles. I opened the Server Manager in the hope that I could install them manually and found the issue immediately. The Application Server Role has been deprecated and removed (ref). Apparently it was deprected in Windows Server 2012r2 and has been removed in 2016. However after some searching it would seem that you can actually install the individual features separately to get past this. Simply run this command in admin PowerShell and you can continue with the AutoSPInstaller:
Add-WindowsFeature Web-Server, `
Once this was up AutoSPInstaller worked just fine!
As did SharePoint 2013 running on Windows Server 2016 with SQL Server 2014!